Overhead throws or overheads are throws made with the arms in a position where the forearms are higher than the upper arms, and the props are thrown from a position near the side of the head. In the overhead position, the elbows should stay at least as high as the shoulders, and stick out either forwards or to the sides.
- For overhead throws with balls, pointing the elbows out to the sides is more efficient than pointing them forwards. For overhead throws with rings or clubs, point your elbows forward, positioning them at the same width as if you weren't doing overhead throws.
- Start with your hands shoulder-width apart, not right in front of your face.
- For low throws, use mostly your forearms, keeping your upper arms (which are now the lower part of your arms) mostly horizontal. For high throws, use your upper arms too.
- To transition from the basic pattern to overheads, throw all but two objects a little higher (and slightly backward) to make time to move your arms up to the overhead position. In an asynch pattern, you can reposition one arm at a time.
World records Edit
Overhead world records with publicly available video evidence (all catches of objects thrown from the overhead position are counted):
- 3 ball overheads: 31 minutes and 4 seconds by Vašek Peca in 2017 (video)
- 4 ball overheads: 10 minutes and 5 seconds by Patrick Pettersson in 2016 (video)
- 5 ball overheads: 3 minutes and 12 seconds by Patrick Pettersson in 2016 (video)
- 6 ball overheads: 167 catches by Michael Ferreri in 2016 (video)
- 7 ball overheads: 70 catches by Marcin Hałas in 2016 (video)
- 8 ball overheads: 11 catches by Patrick Pettersson in 2016 (video)
- 9 ball overheads: 9 catches by Patrick Pettersson in 2016 (video)
- 3 ring overheads: 2 minutes and 50 seconds by Delaney Bayles in 2017 (video)
- 4 ring overheads: 1 minute and 58 seconds by Alexey Isamukhamedov in 2018 (video)
- 5 ring overheads: 72 catches by Alexey Isamukhamedov in 2018 (video)
- 6 ring overheads: 21 catches by Alexey Isamukhamedov in 2018 (video)
- 7 ring overheads: 7 catches by Pavel Evsukevich in 2009 (video)
- 3 club overheads: 4 minutes and 37 seconds by Willy Colombaioni in 2015 (video)
- 4 club overheads: 227 catches by Willy Colombaioni in 2016 (video)
- 5 club overheads: 21 catches by Willy Colombaioni in 2017 (video)
- 6 club overheads: 6 catches by Anthony Gatto (video)
Records with insufficient video evidence: